Pickled anchovies with roasted peppers
More than a recipe, it is an idea to merge two delicious appetizers: the anchovies in vinegar, and the roasted red peppers in the oven. This delicious combination is the perfect cold appetizer that your guests can serve, on toast, and that you will have prepared even days before, so you will be more free to prepare the key day other dishes that need to be served more immediately. We remind you of our recipe for anchovies in vinegar so you can follow all the steps to prepare them, and also the recipe for roasted red peppers, and that you can include in a lot of recipes and combinations.
Ingredients for making anchovies in vinegar with roasted peppers:
- Pickled anchovies:
- 1/2 kilo of very fresh anchovies (with a fairly rigid body, bright skin and transparent eyes).
- White wine vinegar (enough to cover the anchovies to macerate them).
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil and salt
- Baked Peppers:
- A baking sheet full of red peppers (about 6-7 peppers).
Preparation, how to make anchovies in vinegar with roasted peppers:
- Prepare the peppers: you can follow our recipe for roasted peppers to know in detail how to proceed, but this is the summary of steps:
- Preheat the oven to 180º.
- Wash the peppers with water, dry them and put them on the baking sheet (better lined with baking paper so they don't stick).
- Paint them with oil, put them on the tray and place them in the oven at an average height for 30 minutes at 180º. They are ready when the skin barely shows some burned black spots.
- Turn off the oven and leave the tray sweating within 2-3 hours.
- Peel them, the skin will leave almost alone, and removes the seeds inside. Reserve them.
- Prepare the anchovies in vinegar: follow this recipe of anchovies in vinegar with all the details of how to cook them, we summarize here the steps:
- Freeze at least 24 hours to prevent anisakis.
- Clean the anchovies by removing the head, the inner spine and the guts. Separate both loins of each anchovy, wash them under a stream of cold water and let them drain in a drainer.
- In a deep bowl, go putting layers of anchovies and salt, and finally cover completely with vinegar. Let macerate about 30 minutes.
- Wash them again under water, and let them drain.
- Place the anchovies in a bowl, and cover with olive oil. Add fresh parsley and garlic in slices. Let them rest, better a whole night.
Roasted peppers 40 minutes of preparation and oven, and 2-3 hours of rest.
The anchovies 30 minutes of preparation and 30 of maceration, plus a few hours of rest.
Serve and taste:
As you can see in the photograph, it is only visually worth the combination. Prepare some crispy toasts, and on them add a bed of peppers (cut them in thin strips) and some anchovies in vinegar with a little oil on which they are resting, so that the toast and peppers are impregnated with that exquisite flavor . Rectify salt if necessary, better maldon salt (sliced) or fat on peppers.
Recipe variants of anchovies in vinegar with roasted peppers:
There are many ways to consume this recipe, you just have to put imagination. Combine in a fresh salad these anchovies with peppers, a good stream of olive oil and some canons, it will be spectacular.
Add a splash of modena vinegar to that salad and mix it well, especially with the peppers, delicious! You can also add some split and pitted black olives ... of scandal!
Always use the best quality ingredients, since they are the basis of this simple dish: anchovies with a firm and bright appearance, and also bright peppers with firm skin.
Go adjusting your ideal vinegar point. This is achieved by letting the anchovies macerate more or less time in the vinegar. Follow this recipe and decide if you like them with a more pronounced point or, on the contrary, softer.