Cod with cream or bacalhau with creams
- 60 minutes
- For 4 people
- € 3.5 / person
- 310kcal per 100g.
- Fish and seafood recipes
Ingredients for Cod with cream or bacalhau with creams
- 750 g of desalted cod.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Grated cheese for gratin (I like the cured mixture of sheep and goat)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste)
- For the béchamel: 1 tablespoon filled with flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain butter
- 1 and ½ glass of semi-skimmed milk and 1 and ½ glass of liquid cream for cooking
- Nutmeg, salt and black pepper
How to make cod with cream. I love cod and I love Portuguese cuisine. I'm going to give you another spectacular fish recipe, the famous cod with cream or bacalhau with creams.
The Portuguese are true artists when it comes to preparing cod. It was they who made known the conservation technique of this fish during the time they were at sea. They open the freshly caught piece, and cover it with salt. On land, it will be scraped and salted again for sale. In addition, once desalted, it maintains all its properties and perfectly recovers its original texture.
A tip to know if the cod is in good condition: it must have white or grayish color, if its tone is more similar to dark yellow, this may mean that it has remained too long in the saladero.
It is said that in Portugal they have 365 ways to cook cod, one for each day of the year. Today I will give you the cod with cream, which is very similar to spiritual cod. In fact, many cod recipes are prepared in a similar way as to the steps to follow: poach the fish, crumble it and combine with the ingredients of the recipe, before proceeding with its baking or reheating.
You can buy the cod and desalinate it or, as I have done on this occasion, you can buy it desalinated, so you save having to be aware of changing the water. As for the ingredients, it is very likely that you have everyone in your house.
Potatoes, onion, garlic, cream, milk, flour and grated cheese make up the basis of this recipe. A fado and the scent of cod just out of the oven, and I imagine walking through the Algarve... a recipe that you will love!
Preparation of cod and its accompaniment
- We put water to boil with a bay leaf and, when it is boiling, we incorporate the loins of desalted cod. We put out the fire and let it cool in the water. When the water is warm, we remove the loins of cod, we remove the skin and crumble it. We reserve
- We strain and cut the potatoes in straw potatoes. We fry them with plenty of oil. That they are not very hard, rather soft. We pass them to a plate with paper towels to drain the oil and reserve.
- We cut the onion in very thin julienne. We cut garlic cloves.
- Strain the oil used to fry the potatoes and use a little (to cover the bottom of the pan) to fry the onion and garlic. We will poach it until the onion is transparent. We reserve
Preparation of the béchamel
- For the bechamel: we will put in a pan the flour, butter and oil and we will stir so that no lumps are made.
- Little by little we will incorporate the milk, and we will stir. Then we will slowly pour the cream, while stirring.
- Finally we add salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg (the amount will depend on your taste) It should not be too thick. If you still have not been clear, I encourage you to watch the video you have below. It will be perfect for you.
Baking and final presentation of cod with cream
- Mix in a deep and large bowl, cod, potatoes and garlic and onion stir fry.
- Preheat the oven to gratin at 180 ° C. Add the previous mixture to the pan (removed from the stove) where we prepared the besamel and mix. We pass it to a source that we can put in the oven, and sprinkle the grated cheese to gratin.
- We put it in the oven about 15 minutes or until the cheese is gratin or browned.
You can present it individually placed, on grilled asparagus or, as a couch, in a minipuff pastry Decorated with raisins. It will make you look like true kitchen professionals!
Do not stop enjoying all the fish and seafood recipes We have in the blog. I assure you that you will find a lot of ideas to make your people much happier.